Sunday, April 28, 2013

Kefir Water Smoothie

If you are into healthy food, then you should seriously consider making some of your own kefir water. If you're not into healthy food, you really should get into the habit of eating some of that healthy stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the taste of kefir water. Just like I'm not a big fan of the taste of kombucha or coconut water or most herbal teas. As much as I'm not keen on the taste, I am keen on the health benefits that these various drinks provide. So for that reason I brew our own kefir water. I took a long hiatus from it this winter, and we were sick most of the winter. Recently I began brewing new batches. We drink a kefir water smoothie every day now, and, oh, we're on the upswing of health now. Coincidence? I think not.
 To Make the kefir water you first need to acquire some water kefir grains. Ask someone you know who has some to give you some of theirs (because these things multiple each time you make a new batch of water) or you can buy them here. I bought mine here.

With acquired grains:

  1. dissolve 4 Tablespoons of sugar into 4 cups of water.
  2. Add 4 Tablespoons of kefir grains.
  3. Cover with a cloth and let sit on your counter for 2-3 days to ferment.
  4. Next strain the liquid into a new jar (saving the grains to make a new batch)
To make the smoothie:

  1. place 1 frozen banana (cut up), 1 handful of frozen blueberries, yogurt (if desired) and as much kefir water as needed to mix to desired consistency. *I usually use about 1 cup of the kefir water with frozen items, a little less with fresh fruit*.
  2. Blend all the items until smooth.
  3. Pour into cups and ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...